Information Technology Internship
The EmeraldPlanet, based in America’s capital Washington, D.C., is looking for a talented, self-motivated, intelligent, outgoing, and well-organized individual to address the organization’s technology needs including editing the website, updating software and hardware, and engaging in various network activities. The Ideal candidate for this position has prior knowledge of the information technology field through academic preparation and practical working experience in information technology or a related subject. The IT Intern will assist the Executive Director, Board of Advisors, and other interns with various projects to support the organization’s technological needs. The intern may be asked to perform any or all of the following tasks.
- Set up new computer workstations and install software
- Upgrade existing workstations with hardware and software
- Assist with the organization’s help desk to assist staff with computer problems
- Assist with the development of the organization’s photographs, archives, and database
- Scan images, build the database, and maintain the archive of photographic originals
- Assist with website updates using the publishing tool and basic HTML knowledge
- Basic web development and web design knowledge
- Knowledge of HTML, Adobe Photoshop, and Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to learn software programs and teach the ‘Executive Committee’ and other interns on how to use them
- Ability to communicate and interact with staff in a professional and courteous manner
- Have excellent written and communication skills in English and his/her native language
- Be resourceful and able to multi-task and maintain organizational skills with little direct supervision
- Be self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and responsibility for timely execution of assigned tasks
Interns are expected to begin each day on time by 10:00 A.M. and to plan a staggered lunch period with fellow interns to provide adequate coverage of the office visitors, emails, and telephone calls throughout the entire work day until 5:00 P.M.
Certain days in each month will require evening duties such as “Evening with the Embassies” registration, greeting, and media recording, registrations at selected international social events, providing hosting services at topical roundtable presentations or debates, among other activities. More Web work could be available to the intern based on his or her skill level with HTML, ASP, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other social networking sites.
Work will include assisting with updating and possibly redesigning the current organizational websites, linking the organizational websites to those of the various Embassies and their home countries, and entering all submissions from the various Embassies and key leaders of their home countries into the organizational websites on a timely and as needed basis through direct assignment by a specified member of the Board of Advisors, the Executive Director, or other Interns.
The position is open to start immediately and continue throughout the semester for which selected and possibly beyond based upon mutual agreement between the EmeraldPlanet and the respective intern. For further information or application, feel free to send an email to Dr. Samuel Lee Hancock, CM: email@example.com